The administration of the Institute is governed by its enabling Act 25 of 2003 constitution which provides for a governing council, the Secretariat and committees appointed by the Council to implement specific functions or to carry out ad hoc assignments as the case may be.
The Council is the highest policy formulation organ of the Institute elected by ordinary members of the Institute which in turn elects its officials. The council functions through the Secretariat and committees.
The Body of Fellows The Body of Fellows consists of all the Fellows of the Institute, who, relying on their wealth of experience and knowledge, serve as an advisory body to the Council.
The Women in Marketing is the Women arm of the Institute whose focus is to cater for the interest of the female Marketing Practitioners.
The Secretariat of the Institute The Secretariat of the National institute of Marketing of Nigeria is responsible for the day to day management of the Institute. At the helm of affairs is the Registrar who is the Chief Executive Officer of the Institute. He is assisted by Executive Officers who are responsible for Training, Membership, Studentship, Examinations, Media relations, Finance and other areas of activities carried out by the Institute. The Secretariat is responsible to the Council who employs members of staff; establish remuneration policies, terms and condition of services and disciplinary actions
Committees of Council
In order to enhance the quality of the decision-making process, the Council may appoint permanent or ad hoc committees which may be responsible for any areas of activities in which a committee’s contribution is required. At the present time, the following committees are established by the Council.
1. The Executive Committee comprises the President and all Council Committee Chairmen. This committee is responsible for meeting and taking strategic decisions on the running of the Institute in line with the policy directives of the Council.
2. The Education Committee is responsible for setting standard of education for the certificate and professional examinations of the Institute. The Committee primary responsibility shall be to prepare and review syllabus and programme contents of the institute and the Academy of Marketing to ensure that it conforms with the standard of education established by the Institute. It shall be responsible for reviewing and approving manuals published for the institute’s courses and recommending appropriate texts for all levels of the Institute courses as may be necessary. The committee is responsible for scrutinizing examination questions and ensuring that they are consistent with standards set at all times before it releases to the examination committee.
3. Membership Committee is responsible for evaluating membership applications for any grade of membership and upgrading before recommending possible actions to the Council. It is also responsible for providing guidelines for membership and monitoring implementation of membership policy enunciated by the Council.
4. Examination Committee responsible for ensuring that examinations of the Institute conform to the highest standard of professional practice in terms of depth and security. Similarly, the committee is expected to review examinations methods, techniques and recommend from time to time actions for its improvement to the council. It is also responsible for evaluating examiners, examination questions and marking schemes and for ensuring security over the secretariat activities involving conduct of examinations.
5. Planning and Strategy Committee is responsible for advising the Council on the appropriate strategy and plans of actions necessary for achieving the mission and purposes of the institute. It shall also be the responsibility of the committee to monitor implementation of the strategies and to advise the principal officers on corrective and preventive actions in order to ensure conformance and effective management of the institute affairs.
6. Ethics and Disciplinary Committee is responsible for reviewing the Institute’s policy on ethical conducts of members and marketing practitioners and for setting up a system for monitoring and impacting ethical considerations by members in the conduct of their profession and businesses. Also, the committee is charged with the responsibility for developing a feedback system with the secretariat, members and organizations and ensures that disciplinary matters referred to it are reviewed and recommendations made to the Council for necessary action.
7. Training and Consultancy Committee is responsible for setting standard and policies on training and consultancy activities of the Institute and carrying out consultancy services and training as may be requested by the secretariat. It shall set standard for assessing centers offering the institute courses on full-time or part-time basis. Accreditation of such institution shall be based on the outcome of the recommendation of the committee. It shall be responsible for reviewing application for registration of institution of learning and centers where the Institute courses are offered. The committee shall review performance of centers from time to time. It may carry out inspection or visitation as may be necessary to assess suitability and quality of centers and advise the council appropriately.
8. Event Committee This committee is responsible for organizing formal events such as induction, award ceremonies, local and overseas tours, reception of delegations and other formal occasions designed to enhance image of the institute. Other Committees include but not limited to:
9. Finance Committee (Revenue Drive & Collection Committee) is responsible for organizing formal events such as induction, award ceremonies, local and overseas tours, reception of delegations and other formal occasions designed to enhance the image of the institute.
10. Capacity Building And Brand Committee
11. Publications Committee
12. Chapter Formation And Integration Committee
13. Audit Committee
14. Rules and Regulations Committee
15. Accreditation Committee
16. Compliance and Enforcement Committee
17. Building Committee
18. High Net Worth Committee
19. Media Relations Committee:
20. Capacity Building And Brand Committee
21. Publications Committee
22. Chapter Formation And Integration Committee
23. Audit Committee
24. Rules and Regulations Committee
25. Accreditation Committee
26. Compliance and Enforcement Committee
27. Building Committee
28. High Net Worth Committee
29. Media Relations Committee: