Part 1 Section 1 (i) of the Act of 2003 set up the National Institute of Marketing of Nigeria as a corporate body with perpetual succession, a common seal, power to sue and be sued; hold, acquire and dispose of any morable and immorable property.
Section 1 (ii) charges the Institute with the resposibility of:
- Determining who are members….
- Determining what standards of knowledge and skills are to be obtained by persons seeking to be members of the marketing profession
- Regulating and controlling the practice of marketing in Nigeria
- Maintaining, in accodance with the Act, discipline within the profession….
- The establishment and maintenance of the registration of members of all grades, and categories, including Corporate Members.
To be legal marketers, a person must be admitted and registered as a member in the category of:
- Full Members
As enlisted in Section 2 (i) of the Act. Such registered members shall be entitled to use after thier names FNIMN, MNIMN and ANIMN as the case may be Section 2(6) and (7).