PROFILE OF DR UMAR MUSTAPHA
BRIEF PROFILE AND STATEMENT OF PURPOSE FOR DR. UMAR MUSA MUSTAPHA
NOMINEE FOR 1st VICE PRESIDENT OF NIMN
BRIEF PROFILE AND STATEMENT OF PURPOSE FOR
DR UMAR MUSA MUSTAPHA, NOMINEE FOR 1st VICE PRESIDENT OF NIMN.
Dr Umar Musa Mustapha was born on 8th August 1961 in Kano, Kano State. He is a visionary, dynamic, thoroughbred Marketer, Chartered Engineer, Mathematician, Economist, Decision-maker and Entrepreneur. He has held visible leadership positions; Trusted Board Chairman, Pro-Chancellor, Managing Director, General Manager, Teacher and Consultant, while working for world-class Multinationals and Nigerian public and private organizations. He possesses over 35 years work experience with 18 years at board level.
Dr. Mustapha is a multi-disciplinary graduate with an impeccable educational background as well as professional pedigree. He graduated from the Bayero University, Kano in 1984 with BSc Mathematics and served the country under the NYSC scheme in Lagos State. His interest in learning prompted him to devote time to make some postgraduate studies both in Nigeria and abroad. His postgraduate qualifications spanned across three broad areas (a) Economics, Finance and Business Management (b) Engineering and Energy (c) Agribusiness.
Dr. Mustapha has an MSc Economic Management and Policy with specialization in Industrialization, Trade and Economic Policy from University of Strathclyde, UK; MSc Banking and Finance, and Master in Business Administration (MBA) from Bayero University, Kano; Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) from International School Management, Paris, France; and PhD in Economics, Finance and Entrepreneurship from Portsmouth University, UK.
Engr Mustapha as a Chartered Engineer has Postgraduate MSc in Engineering from Portsmouth University, UK; MSc Energy from Heriot-Watt University, UK; and Engineering Doctorate (EngD) degree with specialization in Engineering Design and Manufacture from University of Southern Queensland, Australia.
Dr. Mustapha is also an Agribusiness expert; he has an MSc in Agribusiness from Robert Gordon University, UK; and Doctor of Sustainable Agriculture (DSA) with specialization in developing sustainable agribusiness financing, commodity price variability and climate change from Charles Strut University, Australia.
Dr. Mustapha has a rich and veritable Nigerian and International work experiences. He has made significant contribution to the growth of many Organizations/Institutions in financial services, trade, manufacturing, engineering, energy, transportation, healthcare, agribusiness and educational sectors. He has at various times of his career worked for NNPC, Kano State Polytechnic, University of Ibadan, World Bank Agribusiness
Development Projects, GlaxoSmithKline Nigeria Pic, Mentholatum Company, Raleigh Nigeria Plc, among many others.
Dr. Mustapha is a renowned scholar with publications in the fields of Economics, Industrialization, Manufacturing, Energy, Agribusiness and Entrepreneurship. He is also highly experience in higher Institutions policy setting and has been a Council Member in many Universities and Institutions. Dr. Mustapha is immediate past ProChancellor and Governing Council Chairman of Nigerian’s premier University, University of Ibadan.
Dr. Mustapha is a Registered Member/Fellow of many professional Nigerian and International bodies National Institute of Marketing of Nigeria (FNIMN).
He is philanthropist, a farmer and happily married with children.
Dr Mustapha took a conscious decision to commit himself to the following:
- To being a good steward of people and resources with high sense of accountability, probity and prudence.
- To believing that honest and democratic leadership is always the best policy and that trust has to be earned.
- To position contribute towards positioning the institute so that it continue to be the first point of contact for all marketing people and organizations, and to also be nationally relevant and globally competitive.
- To make the institute a great influencer of governments and enterprises policy setting inline with marketing ethics and best practices for the betterment of all.
- To assist organizations to achieve and exceed their setout objectives by mounting an up-to-date and relevant NIMN marketing training and research programmes.
- To contribute towards making NIMN more creative and innovative by encouraging the culture of constantly thinking differently in a positive manner.
- To make NIMN constantly improve the ‘marketing education curriculum in Nigeria’ inline with country’s marketing needs and global learning requirements for marketing professionals.
- To constantly encourage stakeholders in the marketing field to be friends and savers of the environment through absolute believing in the need for total environmental sustainability and acting in an environmentally friendly way.